The Alaska Pharmacists Association, in conjunction with the Alaska Board of Pharmacy and the UAA/ISU Doctor of Pharmacy Program is working to get a bill passed this session–and we need your help!
HB145 (SNYDER, Tarr, McCarty, Kreiss-Tomkins, Ortiz, Schrage, Fields, Story, Spohnholz) “An Act relating to the Board of Pharmacy; relating to health care services provided by pharmacists and pharmacy technicians; and relating to the practice of pharmacy”:
- Clearly defines patient care services that pharmacists and pharmacy support staff can independently provide;
- Empowers the Board of Pharmacy to regulate pharmacists, student pharmacists, and pharmacy support staff who provide these services; and
- Updates the current provider anti-discrimination statute to support insurance coverage of these patient care service when provided by a pharmacist.
More Information / Supporting Documents to Share
- Talking Points–What Does This Bill Do (One Page)
- HB145 “An Act relating to the Board of Pharmacy, relating to health care services provided by pharmacists and pharmacy technicians; and relating to the practice of pharmacy.”
Tracking Bill Status Link
- Justification / Sectional Analysis
- Fact Sheet–AK’s Pharmacists, Improving People’s Health (One Page)
How You Can Help
Please contact your local Alaska legislator, share information on the bill with them, and ask for their support by co-sponsoring this bill! Not sure who your legislator is or how to contact them? Click on this link, scroll to the bottom of the page, and enter your zip code in the “Who Represents Me” box for their name and email. Not sure what to say? Below is a template letter:
Are you a Legislator? Thank you for your interest is this bill, and we’d greatly appreciate your support!
- Want to see how a pharmacist can provide patient care services in addition to dispensing medication? Check out this short video with Dr. Amy Paul, a Clinical Pharmacist.
(This video was produced pre-COVID, Nov 2019)